As the college season enters the final month, the collegiate recruiting season is getting ready to start. College volleyball programs will have immediate rosters spots and scholarship positions to fill. From NCAA Division I to Junior Colleges, injuries, academics, job changes, etc., all create opportunities which may not have been available one month ago!
Here are 8 ways to make sure that you are ready to be recruited, especially as a Junior and Senior:
- Be registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center and have your NCAA ID number listed on all your recruiting literature.
- If you are Junior or Senior, have a current copy of your high school transcript and ACT/SAT test score ready to send to colleges.
- Use the small window of time between the end of high school volleyball and the start of club volleyball to address any injuries or physical issues. Rest does not fix problems, it only masks them.
- As a Senior, you need to be at the top of your game early in the club season. College coaches are looking to make immediate recruiting decisions on Seniors, so you don’t have time to play your way into shape.
- Use practice to improve your weaknesses, but always play to your strengths in early tournaments.
- Re-examine your list of outreach schools. If you have been contacting a certain level of program and no school is getting back to you, then it is time to adjust. Responses or lack of responses from a grouping of schools, provides valuable feedback.
- Create a 5 minute highlight or skills video, of your most recent court time to have available for collegiate coaches. Don’t show clips/repetitions from September of your high school season, as this is too old. Film the last matches of high school, or better yet, film the first few club volleyball practices or scrimmages.
- Stay active in your outreach to colleges and communication. Roster openings will be occurring all through the Holidays.
There is still time on the recruiting clock for Seniors (and definitely Juniors), but no more time to slip by. Use these next couple of weeks to gear up for the opening of the college recruiting season!
About the Author
Matt Sonnichsen is the Director of Volleyball and National Speaker for NCSA Athletic Recruiting, the Official Recruiting Services provider of the JVA. Matt has over 20 years of experience coaching volleyball at the collegiate level.